Friday, September 28, 2007

53. Sometimes She Sees Me As a Little Girl

I know that parents will always be parents and in many ways will always see their children as little kids. However, when the kids have all grown up and the parents are living with them, they should refrain from treating them like little kids.

I have an infected toe. So, last night about eleven o'clock I was soaking it and reading my book (can't soak my foot while the baby is up, it just doesn't work). Well, my mom came out, her face all scrunched up in displeasure, "What are you doing still up?" Um, taking care of myself...Um, what does it matter I am allowed to stay up late if I desire to...

Well...I am now, but as long as I lived under her roof it wasn't the case (I was 19 when I moved out). I had a bedtime, and a curfew (which was about 10). I was a good kid, as a teenager. Oh sometimes we fought and it wasn't pretty, well we fought a lot as I got older. But I was a "churchie". I went to church Wednesday night, Thursday night youth group, Friday night ministry outreach, and of course all day Sunday where I taught three and four year olds during Sunday school and the second service (the first service I attended, so I was there most of the day). It wasn't like I did these things alone, after all, my mom went to church too, even the same church. But even as a youth leader I would get in trouble for coming home from youth group past ten. Sometimes clean up and such took awhile.

It isn't a surprise that my mom's desire to control such things has crept up, but it is frustrating. I have long since grown up, moved out, and started my own life. In college I went to bed between four and six. We would still have a late night, late morning schedule if my husband didn't have to be to work by six in the morning. Anyhow, I just want to feel like this is my home...

Enough whining though. Have a good one :-D!

No comments: