Tuesday, September 18, 2007

46. Driving

I have always hated driving with my mom. I think this is a natural thing, at least when first starting to drive. For some reason we are just more tense when driving with our parents. Of course my mom is the worse person I have ever driven with. I have been driving for almost ten years now. It has only been about two years that my mom has calmed down some.

Learning to drive was a horrible experience for me. I felt criticized and bullied. It didn't matter how well I drove, my mom always found at least a million things that I did wrong. That's what she talked about too. For days sometimes weeks. She would always have her hand on the door handle, ready to jump at the first moments notice. Her foot was permanently glued to that imaginary break on the passenger side (the one only parents use). She would be shaking and ready to jump, and it made me down right nervous.

Of course it made my brother laugh. I think he is why she has calmed down with my driving. She figures that I the safer of the two. However the criticism hasn't ended. Just yesterday we were driving along. "That light is about to turn red." Um, I know, that's why it is yellow! "Texas police are more likely to pull you over for speeding in a school zone then those in Michigan!" Um, okay, doesn't matter, I just saw the school zone sign and am slowing down right now! On and on. If their were a passenger license she would have it!

Then there is one amazingly confusing thing. There are just a few drivers who scare me. My mom's best friend is one of them. She drives crazy! I mean really crazy! Yet, mom has ridden with her for years. She says that she gets scared, but I have never seen her use the imaginary break or grab the door handle to jump. What's up with that. Is she prepared to die with her friend? Or what?

No comments: