Wednesday, October 31, 2007

63. I'll Make Chili Tonight

"I'll make chili tonight," she declares at about four o'clock. In other words, she felt good enough to cook, and she wanted some of her own cooking. It isn't that I mind her cooking, I love when she cooks, which happens about once every other month. Then again, maybe I do mind her cooking, the actual cooking, not just her doing it.

Well, we will start at the beginning. First I thought and thought all day long about what to fix for dinner. At about two I settled on baked rigatoni, a meal I like quite a bit. Then I realized I would have to go and get cheese because we didn't have any left from the burritos we had last night. So, I vetoed the rigatoni. Instead I was going to make a different pasta dish, one that didn't require cheese.

So, when the announcement came there were two issues. One, if we could have planned ahead, just a smidgen then I wouldn't have had to spend all day racking my brain. Two, we needed cheese again. Mom won't eat chili without cheese, it is her official rule.

Then there is the chili itself. I am not a huge chili fan, but my mom's chili is super bland. I am telling you tomatoes, meat, beads, green peppers, a pinch of chili powder, but bland. It is the kind of bland that made people fight over the riches of the Indies if you know what I mean. But oh well, dinner is made, cheese is gotten, now we are just waiting on the hubby...

No comments: