Thursday, June 7, 2007

8. Forcing Her Adgena and Her Time Table

Often my mom doesn't like to wait for things to be done. She doesn't want to have them done later or in any one's time frame, but her own. This is probably common for perfectionist and controlling people everywhere. However it has always been an issue for my brother and I. Growing up we would get in trouble for not doing our chores on time, and for putting off cleaning our rooms and such things as that. It was such a big issue in my life that I left my room messy most of the time as a form of rebellion. I hated that she had to have everything done her way (not only did we have to clean, but we had to clean the way she wanted it done). She always felt it was her prerogative since it was her house. As a teen we fought about it about six times a week.

Now we don't fight about it. Now she does things to try and manipulate me into feeling bad and doing it her way when she wants it done. She wants the baby toys picked up right now (even though I usually wait till he has gone to bed knowing that he will want them back out the moment they are taken care of) so she will try and pick them up and then ask for help so that I am forced to get up and do it now. She wants the space picked up right now (it is a mess we are packing one crazy move), so she goes around and does what she can and asks me to do this and that and this other thing. Nothing can wait. Or if it can it is only for about five seconds when she starts up the nag cycle. If is something that is bothering her and I am in the middle of something else, she will nag and complain until it is completed.

So far this is an issue we have fought about probably six times in the twelve weeks since she moved in. I don't see it getting better, just worse. Soon we will be living with Peter again and he won't like it. He won't like her trying to force my time, and he won't like her trying to force his time. I guess only time will tell...

No comments: