Monday, June 4, 2007

5. She is Poisoning My Son

Okay, so the word poisoning might be just a tad strong for this situation, but none the less it worries me. She feeds him a lot of treats and goodies behind my back. I don't mind him having the occasional treat or goodie, but I know the habits she taught me. Growing up we would divide a half gallon carton into three portions and my mom, brother, and I would sit down to conquer. On top of that, she is teaching him "shhhh, don't tell mom." Being sneaky like that with your grand kids probably doesn't hurt anyone, but she lives with us. So, now he is eating bad, and sneaking chocolate and other pieces of candy. Not that at eleven months he is actively sneaking anything.

Another example would be breakfast. I occasionally feed Marcus dry toast (because he likes it and eats it really good) and a piece of fruit for breakfast. Yesterday mom said that she was making toast and would feed Marcus. She knows he likes dry toast, but slathered his with margarine and cinnamon sugar. I went to clean him up and commented about the cinnamon sugar everywhere and she laughed and said, "Ah that's cause Grandma's toast isn't yucky." I like cinnamon sugar on my toast, and so does Marcus. But why feed him margarine, and sugar if he is just as happy eating it dry?

I just want him to learn healthy habits. I know that I never had the opportunity to learn them and now I am 120 pounds over weight and having to try and learn now.

Is it too much to ask that she doesn't poison my son with the same habits she poisoned me with?

No comments: