Tuesday, July 31, 2007

20. Guilt Trip

I think that my mother is the Queen of Manipulation. Her favorite technique would be the guilt trip. She has used this for as long as I can remember to try and get her children (and others who know her) to do what she wants them to do. She employs other methods, but this is the one that she uses most often and is usually accompanied by tears, sniffles, and other such sad devices, and even negative comments, feedback, and hurtful sayings.

The money is tight right now, my husband is job hunting, we recently got carried away with spending, and our bills are behind. Hers aren't because she made sure that I paid them on time last month and she doesn't seem to care that we then didn't have money to pay my student loan and other such bills. I am very close to defaulting on my student loan, but she doesn't want me to pay that. She wants me to scrounge up the money to make sure her credit card bill gets paid this month. A bill that went from 22 a month to 49 a month because she over drafted it buying yarn. Yep, we are paying her credit card bill and she is using it to buy yarn. So, she has been guilt tripping me into making sure that her bills are paid each month. However, with no money whatsoever (the bank account is getting closer and closer to being depleated and rent was just a wee bit important) her credit card bill isn't at the top of my priority list. Housing, food, water (living in Texas you actually have to buy it which is weird for the Michigan/Wisconsin girl), and utilities.

Money isn't the only thing that she uses the guilt trip method for. Getting things done her way and in her timing is also something she tries to guilt trip me into. Or if there is laundry in the washer and dryer she will make me feel horrible that it was there when she was ready to do her laundry and I was gone.

No comments: